Saturday, April 11, 2009

So, if I blog about trail running, I gotta actually run, right?

Easter Sunday, it's on, rain or shine (& yes, it's raining as I type!).

Starting at the 128th St & Cactus Trailhead (Ringtail is the official name, & Lost Dog Wash is at 124th), just a "quick" run up to Sunrise Peak and back. ~6.0 miles total from my house (5.6 from the trailhead) and ~1,300' of climbing. At the top you can see Camelback Mountain, Four Peaks, Fountain Hills (see pic), and Southeast about as far as the eye can see.

From the trailhead on 128th go toward the mtns for about 1/2 mi - at the 1st junction it's clear which way you go- UP, and to the right. At the first saddle it levels off briefly, then winds up & around the top of the canyon (above the Scottsdale Mountain Subdivision - that highest home you see in the canyon sold last year for $4.0 million! No, I was not the listing agent on that one...).

The trail then leads you to a higher ridge and flattens a bit until the final 1/4 mile powerhike to the very top. Enjoy the views, take in some fluids, and head back the way you came. (You can also go DOWN the other side and it takes you to the Sunrise Peak Trailhead at 145th Way (Via Linda turns in to 145th just as you reach the parking area on the left).

Not a horrendous run by any means, but definitely want to pace yourself on the trip up. (I've done this one about 25-30 times so I know what to expect even when I go harder on the way up). The downhill is really fun to run - just make sure you watch your footing or you could end up on your face. I have friends you can ask about that. Doh!

1 comment:

  1. Been up since 4:30 a.m. with a raging cough - no run today...grrr.....

    ReplyDelete