Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why Trail Running?

So, along with the ~40 gazillion other people on the planet who blog, I figured what the heck, I'll join in.

What better subject for me to yap about than a new(er) passion of mine (over the past 4 or 5 years) than the good ol trail running scene. I'm not as fast as I used to be, so I decided to try trail running after a few buddies told me about a trip they did - running across the Grand Canyon and back. You don't have to have cheetah speed, just some good endurance and a sincere passion for a little pain and suffering (in a good way).

Since then I've "run" three 48-milers across the Grand Canyon and back - "Rim to Rim to Rim" or "R3", and did a 1-way, 24-miler from the South Rim to the North in the middle of Summer (don't do it mid-day - too hot!).

A little about me: I grew up in Oregon, ran track and cross-country for the University of Oregon Ducks. I was considered a "scrub" (before the show "Scrubs") - good enough to make the team, though not good enough to make the news - but I was totally stoked to be a part of a legendary running school and attempt to follow in a few famous footsteps. After college ran a few marathons - only one went well: a 2:49 in Japan (even after cramping slowed me the last 10k...). Since then I've attempted to get and stay in some sort of running shape - sometimes successful, sometimes not. Right now? It's time to get back in decent shape again!

More to come....

1 comment:

  1. Hello John,
    New to your site here. I just recently started running about a year ago. A few weeks ago, I found my passion in trail running. Since then, I have been finding new trails around the central PA area. Your recent posts on the Grand Canyon intrigue me. I look forward to future posts and catching up in the posts in the middle. I have found that taking a camera with me on my adventures is nice in making memories and sharing them online. To associate a trail with pictures is nice to offer to readers especially those that reside in the area. A 2:49 is impressive, and in Japan to say the least. Thanks for sharing your trail running online and I look forward to seeing more here. Regards, Kenley

    ReplyDelete